Wednesday, June 23, 2010

cassie

Tonight I took my dog Cassie for a walk as I have done almost every day for 14 years. Well, except for the time that my daughter was home and she took over the evening dog walking chores. As I helped Cassie get up, to get all four feet under her, she knew we were going for a walk and she was excited. She moved quickly to the rug at the front door, waited patiently for me to put her leash on and then we both went out the front door. We used to go out the back door but Cassie doesn't like going down those steps any more. The front steps are a little gentler on her. As we got down the steps her back hips sort of zigged of their own accord. But she used her tail, very effectively I might add, as a rudder to right things.

It all of a sudden dawned on me that, all things said, I'm watching my dog as she is entering the last phase of her life. I thought of that book I've heard of that I always thought was very poignant but incredibly silly - the lessons you learn from your dog - you know the one about unconditional love, always ready for a walk, faithful…

I realized that my hope is that when I enter the last phase of my life that I am as full of grace and clever as she is. She barks at us when she wants attention, when she wants me to get up with her in the morning. I get irritated that it's a little too early but when I walk into her bedroom (she sleeps in the laundry room) there she is, happy, tail wagging. She struts out the front door looking, sniffing - catching all the new scents of the morning. I still get the puppy breakfast dance when we come in and she's ready for breakfast. During the day, at least once of twice, she comes to find me in my office, or the kitchen - or she starts barking because she wants to know where we are and I suspect she realizes that her barking drives us crazy and that we will come to find her to see what's going on. If she's in pain, you wouldn't know it - it doesn't make her cranky or stop her from wanting to be a part of everything - including lying right smack in the middle of the kitchen floor during dinner preparations so that, without a doubt you have to acknowledge her presence as you try not to step on her. If she's in pain, she's not willing to miss out on our walks. If she's in pain it doesn't show when she wants to greet everyone that walks in our home with a sniff and a tail wag - sometimes a bark.

Tonight as we walked, she sniffed, I admired the amazing fireflies and one of those Georgia nights that you can feel smell. Our walk was slow. We met a friend, chatted for a while - Cassie laid down and waited patiently for us to be finished with our conversation then we returned home. Walking slowly, Cassie sniffing all the great spots on the way home using her tail as her rudder.

I hope I am half as pleasant as my Cassie. I hope that I have the grace my dog has when it's my turn.


1 comment:

Alesia OKeefe said...

Not a day goes by that you don't inspire me, my friend.