Friday, August 13, 2010

The Aftermath

I've been home from Bogota for a week now…unfortunately I have been sick as all get out for a week. Being sick isn't something I do well - but this time I managed to get it all right. Started slow - a little cough/runny nose on Saturday, moving to a fever on Sunday and then by Monday- all hell broke lose. I played tennis Sunday morning - played badly then got in the pool. Probably didn't help my sickness too much.

Spent Sunday lazing around - achy, nasty…Tim was home briefly Sunday. Monday I went to the pool - achy body and all - it was freezing, but felt good. Came home crashed. By Tuesday I was coughing so bad my entire body hurt - my head, my ribs - everything.

On the way home from the pool Wednesday morning I stopped at the grocery store and talked to the pharmacist - he fixed me up with Mucinex DM and an antihistamine. I was also determined to get something to eat - went to my favorite soup/sandwich place all the way down in Buckhead - Souper Jennys - and inhaled a bowl of gazpacho - it was sooo good - just spicy enough, cold. Homemade pitas with sprouts and homemade hummus.

On the way home from lunch, after the 7th hour of straight unproductive coughing, I stopped at CVS and purchased the strongest over the counter cough suppressant available. Sat in the parking lot there and took the stuff. My daughter thought I might have an issue!

Homemade remedies were absolutely the freaking best though. Since I blame my disease on travels to South America, my friend recommended a South American remedy: rum, honey and lemon juice. So, the rum was 27 year old Guatemalan rum, the honey was wildflower and the lemon fresh squeezed. The first night my first honey/lemon:rum proportions were off - required more rum. Second night I got the proportions exactly right, which were, of course based on the more rum to honey/lemon measurements…I wanted more. Didn't do it, of course but it was sure good. Other remedy I used was a fabulous hibiscus tea, I was first served at the USAID office in Bogota. Soooooo good.

Its now Friday - I'm feeling 100% better - still coughing, but not nearly so bad. Tim is sick!


No comments: